European Scientific Diving Panel
- The European Scientific Diving Committee was set up as interim commission based on a meeting of experts in scientific diving and underwater sciences held in Berlin (Germany) at the 25th-26th June 2007 following the intention of the Banyules sur mer meeting in the year 2000. The official ESDC was established during the 1st International Symposium on Occupational Scientific Diving in Bremerhaven October 15th to 16th, 2007.
- In the year 2009, the ESDC was adopted as a panel of the Marine Board of the European Science Foundation, and was therefore renamed to European Scientific Diving Panel (ESDP).
- Link to European Scientific Diving publications: http://ssd.imbe.fr/Scientific-diving-supported
- 23-27th October 2013: Joint AAUS/ESDP INTERNATIONAL SCIENTIFIC DIVING SYMPOSIUM in Curacao. More info at http://www.aaus.org/annual_symposium
- 8 October 2013: 11th ESDP meeting at ESF-COST Office, Brussels. For more information contact the ESDP Chair, Martin Sayer.
- 20-21 March 2013: 10th ESDP meeting at Zadar, Croatia, hosted at the International Centre for Underwater Archaeology.
- Since October 2017: Link to European Scientific Diving publications: http://ssd.imbe.fr/Scientific-diving-supported
Objectives of the ESDP
To encourage international mobility in the European scientific diving community through the implementation of a practical support framework by:
- promoting the widespread recognition of the existing ESD and AESD as the minimum standards for scientific diving by assuring their acceptance as the primary qualifications for scientific diving in Europe
- becoming established as the recognised European body with responsibility to provide advice and guidance on the acceptance of existing standards within national and international legislative processes;
- facilitating, promoting and maintaining communication with and between present national scientific diving organisations and the National Scientific Diving Committees.
To promote safety in scientific diving across Europe through:
- facilitating a pan-European framework that exists to promote industry best practice in scientific diving;
- promotion and support for the establishment of national scientific diving committees where they don’t exist;
- the development and maintenance of a European database of scientific diving activities.
To advance underwater scientific excellence in Europe through:
- the facilitation of conferences, workshops, courses and publications where scientific diving is promoted as a research tool;
- encouragement and support for European funded research networks that employ scientific diving.
On this page, you will find more detailed information on the ESDP as well as the term and procedures for EU countries to join the ESDP. Because our main goal is to integrate as many countries as possible to the new ESDP, we hereby want to officially invite all EU countries to join this new European initiative for a harmonized standard for scientific diving in Europe.
ESDP consultant documents
- Common practices for recognition of European Competency levels for scientific diving at work: The European Scientific Diver (ESD) and the Advanved European Scientific Diver (AESD)
- ESDP Consultation Document Number 1: Common Practices for Recognition of European Competency levels for Scientific Diving at work (October 2009)
- ESDP Consultation Document Number 2: ESDP Consultation Document Number 2: The delivery of science through diving (May 2011)
- ESDP Consultation Document Number 3: Guidelines for Scientific Diving from large Research Vessels (September 2011)
Courses and trainings
- European Scientific Diver
- Advanced European Scientific Diver
- Other courses related to Scientific Diving
Scientific diving in Europe - Informations on national regulations within the EU
For detailed informations on a country click on the countries name above the flag
|Country||Scientific diving is regulate by||ESDP member status||National body responsable for scientific diving in country||National certification authority for scientific diving|
|Austria (klick for details)||No national regulations||None||Österreichisches Zentrum für Forschungstauchen
Contact person (s): Albert Rechberger (email@example.com)
|Belgium (klick for details)||No national regulations||Full member||Belgium Working Group on Scientific Diving
Homepage: not yet available
Contact person: Alain Norro (a.norro_(at)_mumm.ac.be)
Type of authority: NGO established by 'aquatic field' related Belgian Universities and research laboratories. Additional members of the authority are two operators of national and regional research vessels and a representative of the Belgian Navy. The working group has been created at the Belgian Federal level under the Federal Public Service Belgian science policy.
|Bulgaria (klick for details)||Bulgarian National Association of Underwater Activity (BNAUA) nominated by law||Nominated country||Bulgarian National Association of Underwater Activity and Institute of Oceanology
Contact person: Dr. Ilia Krastev (krastev_(at)_io-bas.bg)
|Institute of Oceanology, P.O.Box 152, Parvi mai 40 str., 9000 Varna
|Croatia (klick for details)||No national regulations||Full member||Koordinacija znanstvenih ronilaca Hrvatske - Coordination of scientific divers of Croatia, B.Petranovića 1,
Contact person(s): Luka Bekić (csdcroatia_(at)_yahoo.com)
Additional informations: The National Committee on Scientific Diving was formed in 2010 as a Non-Governmental Organization with the aim to connect SD from all disciplines across Croatia.
|Cyprus (klick for details)||No national regulations||None||Contact person: Not yet available||None|
|Czech Republic (klick for details)||No national regulations||None||Contact person: Zdenek Duris (zdenek.duris_(at)_osu.cz)||None|
|Denmark (klick for details)||No national regulations||None||Contact person: Torben Malm (tma_(at)_kuas.dk) & Jens Auer (auer_(at)_hist.sdu.dk)||None|
|Estonia (klick for details)||No national regulations||None||Estonian Marine Institute, University of Tartu, Mäealuse 14 Tallinn 12618 Estonia.
Contact person(s): Georg Martin, Vice director of Estonian Marine Institute, University of Tartu, Mäealuse 14 Tallinn 12618 Estonia (Georg.Martin_(at)_ut.ee)
|Finland (klick for details)||Law (Finnish Ministery of Education)||Full member||Finnish Scientific Diving Steering Association (Suomen tutkimussukelluksen ohjausyhdistys)
Contact person: Jouni Leinikki (jouni.leinikki_at(at)_alleco.fi)
Type of authority: NGO established by the Finnish scientific diving community. The FSDSA is recognised by the National Examination Board for Professional Diving as the advisory body for matters of scientific diving.
|Examination board for professional diving
Contact person: pekka_spinkkila_(at)_tuakk.fi
Type of authority: Nationally legalised authority by the Finnish Ministry of Education
|France (klick for details)||Law (Ministery of labour)||Full member||Comité National de la Plongée Scientifique (CNPS)
Contact Person: Jean-Pierre Féral (jean-pierre.feral_(at)_imbe.fr)
Type of authority: Large scale research facility
|INPP (Institut National de la Plongée Professionnelle) http://www.inpp.org|
|Germany (klick for details)||Law (German Federal Minister for Labor and Social Affairs - BAMS) http://www.bmas.de/DE/Startseite/start.html||Full member||German Commission for Scientific Diving (Kommission Forschungstauchen Deutschland - KFT)
Contact Person: Philipp Fischer (philipp.fischer_(at)_awi.de) - elected representative of the KFT
Type of authority: Professional organisation legalized by the German Ministery of Research and Education and the Examination board for scientific divers
|Examination board for scientific divers within the statutory accident insurance
Contact person: Dipl. Ing. Frank Werner (frank.werner_(at)_bg-bau.de)
Type of authority: Statutory accident insurance (legalised by the German Ministry for Inner Affairs).
|Greece (klick for details)||No national regulations||None||No national organisation but on institute level by the Helenic Center for Marine Research (HCMR)
Contact person: Dr. George Petihakis, Associate Researcher, HCMR, Crete P.O. Box 2214 71003 Iraklion Crete, Greece, (gpetihakis_(at)_hcmr.gr)
Type of authority: National research institute
|There is yet no gouvermental agency, but HCMR provides the legal background for scientific diving through a legal document between Ministry of Economics & Maritime and Ministry of Education.|
|Hungary (klick for details)||No national regulations||None||Contact person: Attila Toth (attila.toth_(at)_koh.hu)||None|
|Ireland (klick for details)||No national regulations||None||Contact person: Paul Ryan (pr_(at)_iol.ie)||None|
|Israel (klick for details)||No national regulations||None||Contact person: Dan Tchernov (dani_(at)_vms.huji.ac.il)||None|
|Italy (klick for details)||Not yet officially regulated but a law implementation is developing.||Full member||Associazione Italiana Operatori Scientifici Subacquei - AIOSS (Italian Association of Sceintific Divers)
Contact person: Dr. Massimo Ponti (massimo.ponti_(at)_unibo.it) & Dr. Giorgio Caramanna (giorgiocaramanna_(at)_yahoo.it)
Type of authority: NGO
|Associazione Italiana Operatori Scientifici Subacquei - AIOSS (Italian Association of Sceintific Divers)
Contact person(s): Dr. Massimo Ponti (massimo.ponti_(at)_unibo.it) & Dr. Giorgio Caramanna (giorgiocaramanna_(at)_yahoo.it)
Type of authority: National association
|Latvia (klick for details)||No national regulations||None||Contact person: Vadim Yermakov (vadim.yermakov_(at)_lhei.lv)||None|
|Lithuania (klick for details)||No national regulations||None||Coastal Research and Planning Institute, Klaipeda University
Contact person(s): Dr. Martynas Bucas (Martynas_(at)_corpi.ku.lt)
Type of authority: National research institute
|Luxembourg (klick for details)||No national regulations||None||Contact person: not yet available||None|
|Malta (klick for details)||No national regulations||None||Contact person: not yet available||None|
|Netherlands (klick for details)||Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment||None||Contact person: Dr. Fleur VanDuyl (duyl_(at)_nioz.nl) & Dr. Martin Manders (M.Manders_(at)_racm.nl)||None|
|Norway (klick for details)||Scientific diving in Norway is regulated by the Norwegian Labour Inspection Authority, under the national regulations for professional diving.||Associated to the ESDP. Qualified to be a full member.||Norwegian Scientific Divers
Contact persons: Even Moland: even.moland_(at)_imr.no & Mats Walday: mats.walday_(at)_niva.no.
|not yet implemented|
|Poland (klick for details)||No national regulations||None||Institute of Oceanology, Polish Academy of Sciences, Ul.Powstańców Warszawy 55, 81-712 Sopot, POLAND
Contact person: Piotr Kuklinski Associated Professor (kuki_(at)_iopan.gda.pl)
|Portugal (klick for details)||National law (Lei 24/2013)||Full member||Contact person: APorMC - Portuguese Scientific Diving Association / Pedro Neves (apmergcient_(at)_gmail.com)|
|Romania (klick for details)||No national regulations||None||Contact person: not yet available||None|
|Slovakia (klick for details)||No national regulations||None||Contact person: not yet available||None|
|Slovenia (klick for details)||No national regulations||None||National Institute of Biology, Marine Biology Station Piran, Fornace 41,,6330 Piran, Slovenia,
Contact person(s): Tihomir Makovec, senior diving officer (head diving base) (makovec_(at)_mbss.org)
|Ministry for education, science, culture and sports
|Spain (klick for details)||No national regulations||None||Contact person: David Villegas Rios (chirleu_(at)_gmail.com) & Manuel Martin-Bueno (mmartin_(at)_posta.unizar.es)||None|
|Sweden (klick for details)||National law (Swedish Work Environment Authority, Provision AFS 2010:16).
English version: http://arbetsmiljoverket.se/inenglish/lawandjustice/provisions/
|Full member||The Swedish Scientific Diving Committee (NGO)
Contact person: Maria Asplund, Field station for marine research at Kristineberg (maria.asplund_(at)_bioenv.gu.se
|Swedish Armed Forces - Diving and Naval Medicine Centre
Contact person: Kristian Gruwberger (kristian.gruwberger_(at)_mil.se) - Issues the ESD and AESD certificates after the applicant has achieved the S30 certificate.
Swedish Armed Forces Headquarters - Contact person: Per-Anders Hallberg (per-anders.hallberg_(at)_mil.se) - Issues the S30 certificate and adds "Scientific diver" on the certificate when requested by the Diving and Naval Medicine Centre. Also performs equivalence assessments for foreign certificates.
|Turkey (klick for details)||No national regulations||None||Institute of Marine Sciences and Management. Muskule Sok No1 34116 Vefa-Fatih Istanbul, Turkey,
Contact person (s): Dr. Volkan Demir, Research associate, Istanbul University (volkandemir_(at)_istanbul.edu.tr)
|United Kingdom (klick for details)||The UK Health and Safety Executive (HSE) http://www.hse.gov.uk/diving||Full member||UK National Environment Research Council (NERC) and UK Scientific Diving Supervisory Committee (SDSC)
Contact Person: Dr Martin Sayer (Martin.Sayer_(at)_sams.ac.uk) - elected representative of NERC and SDSC
|UK Health and Safety Executive (HSE; (http://www.hse.gov.uk/diving)
UK Scientific Diving Supervisory Committee (SDSC; http://www.uk-sdsc.com)
- The European Scientific Diving Panel at the European Marine Board (http://www.marineboard.eu/ESDP)
- The European Marine Board - associated with the European Science Foundation (http://www.marineboard.eu/)